- 20–30 fresh Fava beans ( in the pod)
- olive oil to coat
- generous pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced – use a garlic press!
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped (optional)
- zest from one medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon aleppo chili ( or regular chili flakes ) optional
- squeeze of lemon, optional
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Toss fava beans with a little drizzle of olive oil, just enough to coat, and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Grill each side until deep grill marks apear ( 4-5 minutes, each side) covering grill. Try a tester and make sure inner bean is tender.
- Spread out on a platter, spoon dressing over top. Sprinkle with fresh mint and parsley and aleppo chili flakes. Taste one for salt. ( I ususally add extra finishing salt.)
- If you like a little more lemon flavor, give them a squeeze of lemon.
- Eat like you would edamame, with your fingers, scraping out the beans with your teeth.
- Very hands-on.
With younger smaller fava bean pods, you find the outer pods edible and tasty! Good fiber.